Background

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Beautiful Art

Had a great weekend shopping with my daughter.  We stopped off at a shop in Jacksonville called Upscale Resale.  They have a lot of beautiful antique and vintage items.  Nicely laid out, easy to shop, clean, and the prices run medium to high.  I was able to find some new items to add to my collection of goodies.

This is a 1785 portrait of Mrs. Siddons by artist Thomas Gainsborough.  I collect pieces by this artist and feel good to have snagged another for my crafting projects. The frame is pretty too.  This is a nice replica of the original piece and measures 6" x 8" unframed.  Bill and I will be traveling in a few weeks back to Washington D. C. to visit our son for his birthday.  During that trip, we are stopping off at the National Gallery to view this piece along with several other original works by Thomas Gainsborough.  Can't wait.

These postcards are dated between 1903 and 1908 and are all printed in Berlin.  Love the German Christmas one.  Oh really, I like them all. 




These pictures seemed touching.  The mother and daughter seem particularly endearing.  I liked the background scene in the one with the woman.

This is a piece of early World War II propaganda art by James Montgomery Flagg.  I was struck by Lady Liberty ringing the Liberty Bell. It's a large print measuring 14" x 10".
  Last week I was able to pick a few rubber stamps.  I like unusual ones!

How romantic this Victorian couple walking together.
I really felt this bicycle stamp was special because of the flowers in the basket and suitcases on the back. 
This is a Stampin Up set Tender Toile 2002.  Love the rabbit.
This one is Hero Arts Italian Poetry.

Just a quick update my foot is better and out of the boot cast.  Made it out this morning (early) to horse ride now that I can fit back into my riding boots.

I am in the middle of redesigning my crafting room and moving everything from one space to another.  It is really hard to craft while all this is going on, but will have some new pieces out soon.

Be well my friends,

Valerie


2 comments:

  1. Hi Valerie! I was going to ask about your foot, so thank you for the update! I'm so glad it's doing better! YAY for getting into your riding boot!
    You got some really wonderful new treasures! I think the bicycle stamp is my favorite! Thanks for sharing!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear your foot is much better. I am sure it is a lot lighter without that boot. Enjoy being free again. Kate

    ReplyDelete